Thursday, March 5, 2009

Social Networking Can Aid in Your Job Search




To read the full article please visit: http://www.job-hunt.org/social-networking/linkedin-facebook-twitter-etc.shtml

LinkedIn:
We've talked a bit about LinkedIn, and I've shared articles on growing your network and getting your profile started. The bottom line is LinkedIn is the network to join if you are a professional.

There's not a lot of social stuff to do, which is good because you won't get lost in all the features, but you must have a good profile and have some kind of LinkedIn strategy.

Facebook:
Facebook is a funny one. Many people think Facebook is for college kids, but the fastest growing demographic at one time was the 25+ crowd. Most of my contacts on Facebook are older, out-of-school professionals. It's a very social environment, with poor search functionality, but considering many hiring managers, recruiters and decision-makers are there, I'd say it's wise to have a professional profile and some kind of Facebook strategy.

Oh, did I mention it's currently about four times the size of LinkedIn?

Twitter:
They call Twitter "micro-blogging." It's hard to explain Twitter because on the surface it seems like a very simple tool, and there's not much to it. But the magic is in the simplicity. I've had great success with Twitter as I grow my network, develop real relationships, and help people understand who I am and what I can offer (and what they can do for me).

To get an idea of how it works, go check out my profile, see what I tweet (tweet is to Twitter as post is to blog), and see how I interact with others. If you are in marketing or social media, I'd say Twitter is an essential career tool. Again, the value is elusive, but it's there.

This is an excerpt of an article posted by another website.  Click the link at the top for more information or to read the full article.
* * * * *
Have a Hawaii job lead?  Want something shared on Hawaii Works?  Send us an email and we'll be sure to get the word out.
Email: hawaiiworks@gmail.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jobshawaii
Visit us again: http://hawaiiworks.blogspot.com

Posted via email from Hawaii Works

No comments:

Post a Comment